Metal Metal Female Voices Fest
Festival dedicated to the metal female bands.
FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Comments about MFVF 5
Goto page: 1, 2, 3  >
Post new topic Reply to topic Metal Female Voices Fest Forum Index -> Forum -> Archives -> MFVF 5
Previous topic :: Next topic
keith47424
MFVF fan
MFVF fan

PostPosted: 21/10/2007, 04:47 pm Post subject: Comments about MFVF 5 Reply with quote

So then what did people think of MFVF5?

Here are my comments.
First of all many thanks to the organisation. It was a great gig and a special thanks to Helcanen for all she did.
Now these are my comments on the bands. They are my opinions so please feel free to make your own and also condemn me for having no taste. Very Happy
Interria - Was impressed in their little time on stage. So much so that I bought their CD. Well done.
Valkyre - Again another band I knew nothing about. But I enjoyed their set also.
Distorted - A great performance and another band I knew nothing about really. Really brightened up the show with powerful songs.
Draconian - One of the bands I was really looking forward to seeing and did they dissappoint? Did they F**K? Awesome band and awesome performance. One of the highlights of the gig for me.
Seraphim - Not sure about them as I was really tired and they seemed to go on and on and on. Don't get me wrong, I have all of their CDs but they didn't do it for me this time. Sorry Seraphim. Maybe next time.
Battlelore - Again another band that I was looking forward to seeing and they were really good. Thoroughly enjoyed their set too.
ELIS - Virtually brought a tear to my eyes this band did. Crying or Very sad The last time I saw them was in Sneek in Holland supporting Autumn and Leaves Eyes with Sabine as lead singer. When Sandra was singing the songs it really bought those great memories back. Also when they paid tribute to Sabine it was lump in the throat time. A great performance none the less only spoilt but over running in time. Sad
Delain - Have heard them live before and they were quite poor. This time was a great improvement. A good gig.
Flowing Tears - Excellent. Glad they turned up. Enjoyed their set.
SIRENIA - The only dissappointment of the whole day for me. They just weren't at the races. Not a great set for me.
Epica - They should have been the headline act. They are great and the show was excellent.
Leaves' Eyes - Not my most favourite band in the world and from what I saw of the show was the usual winey voice of Liv and then her husband charging backwards and forwards all the time. However will buy the DVD in April 2008 cause I may be in it!!
All in all I really enjoyed the gig.
Highlights were firstly Draconian and then Battlelore. Epica never stop amazing me.
Low points were Sirenia performance and the fact that the bus back to Brussels "had" to leave at Midnight so therefore missed the end of Leaves Eyes. Also what happened to Imperia? No mention of them not making it at all?
Thanks once again and see you all next year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cheers Keith47424
Publicité

PostPosted: 21/10/2007, 04:47 pm Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Vlien
MFVF fan
MFVF fan

PostPosted: 21/10/2007, 05:24 pm Post subject: Comments about MFVF 5 Reply with quote

Yes it was really wonderfull!
I didn't like all the bands, but I saw them on first row so it was nice anyhow.
Although I was tired in the end & felt a little pitty for some bands because lots of people were just standing there, doing nothing Razz
I made some pictures, I'll upload these later ^^

& oh yes, Miss Metal was funny Razz
But still I think it was brave of her to do this..

But there is one more thing I'd like to say..
What happened to the door on the right? Razz
The people who already had bracelets also entered at the left and people from the desk still had to wait twice!

Btw.
keith47424 wrote:
the fact that the bus back to Brussels "had" to leave at Midnight so therefore missed the end of Leaves Eyes.

O my god.. Those people must've been so pissed..

And thank you Helcanen Wink You know what for I hope Razz

Visit poster’s website
keith47424
MFVF fan
MFVF fan

PostPosted: 21/10/2007, 06:04 pm Post subject: Comments about MFVF 5 Reply with quote

Vlien wrote:

I made some pictures, I'll upload these later ^^

How do you do this?

Vlien wrote:
Miss Metal was funny Razz
But still I think it was brave of her to do this..

What does this mean?

Vlien wrote:
keith47424 wrote:
the fact that the bus back to Brussels "had" to leave at Midnight so therefore missed the end of Leaves Eyes.

O my god.. Those people must've been so pissed..

Yes I was a bit. And others too. Although most of the people on my bus were English and were more pissed off that England lost some egg chasing game called I think Rugby.

Cheers Keith47424
Zvetiki

PostPosted: 21/10/2007, 06:09 pm Post subject: Re: Comments about MFVF 5 Reply with quote

keith47424 wrote:
So then what did people think of MFVF5?

OK, so my comments...

The lineup on SA was brilliant. I learned of AnachroniA last year, and this year brought me Valkyre and Interria as new bands with great sounds -- Great finds of surprisingly unknown (in .de) bands. From the other bands, Elis was my personal highlight on Saturday (the first time I saw them with the new singer), with Epica behind. Flowing Tears -- Well, they did not annoy me too much. FR was as expected; not really interesting until Doro.

Judging from the people I saw on both days, a large part of the audience on FR did not return on SA. Obviously, this is to be expected to a degree; fans of both Holy Moses and Leaves' Eyes are probably few and far between. ;-) Still, I personally would like MFVF to concentrate more on SA-like bands. All in all, I very much liked this year's lineup with a strong SA, but from what I read on the fliers it will be topped by next year's. :-)

As far as the organisation was concerned: well, if I keep it positive, then I would say: "Last year it was better." ;-) On SA, the door on the right should have been opened as previously stated. Because Valkyre started later than planned, it all worked out well in the end, but standing in line again contrary to the stated organisation was annoying. As far as the VIP package is concerned, I would really more like the tickets to be 10 EUR cheaper (a meal is charged 5 EUR, according to the ticket) and skip the coldly-served fries served with "up to one hour" delay. And a little bit more space backstage would have been nice, too. (Or keep the price and sell fewer tickets.)

Many thanks to the bands who showed up and were open to photos and chattings with the fans! (But really, people: Flocking together in front of the toilettes to get a shot of Liv Kristine leaving the WC is appalling.)

Indeed I felt bad for Leaves' Eyes because so many people had already left the hall. I hope that the DVD turns out well. (And, of course, to see me on it ;-) )

And I know I am probably the only one, but I liked last year's arrangement with two stages used sequentially better. I know that one big stage was necessary for Leaves' Eyes DVD shot, but I would appreciate a return to the previous arrangement.

That said, keep up the good work, remove the small problems and I am looking forward to another instance of this great festival in 2008!
Nemesis

PostPosted: 21/10/2007, 08:14 pm Post subject: Comments about MFVF 5 Reply with quote

i just got back home so it won't be too elaborate (totally need to catch up on some sleep)

i really enjoyed MFVF. nice venue, great bands (not one i didn't like; i ven kind of like LE, wow), killer sound. i recorded over 20 videos and i think they all turned out really well. i liked the backstage area because there was space to sit. my feet got SO sore after a while, so it was a nice thing to have at hand. i also got to talk to some of the bands and whore some pics and everything (Michele of Tourettes is insane, i LURVE her).

there were some downsides though. i was really bummed both Benedictum and Imperia mysteriously disappeared, but that's not even the worst thing that happened... the food service in the vip area was abominable. the woman at the bar thingy said there were only two cooks for all VIPs, bands, crew, etc. on Friday we waited for over 90 minutes and still didn't get anything, that's really bad. on Saturday the waiting time was even worse (so i heard the same lady say; we didn't bother to order anymore). also, the vestiaire thing didn't really work out well. people had to wait for quite some time for someone to manage that area.

but overall, i thought it was grand and i think i'll be there again next year.

Visit poster’s website
Burkhard
MFVF fan
MFVF fan

PostPosted: 21/10/2007, 09:00 pm Post subject: Comments about MFVF 5 Reply with quote

This is just a somewhat shortened and slightly adjusted version of the comment I already posted on the Sonic Cathedral-forum:

As regards the bands perfoming, I saw the entire sets of Dylath-Leen, Holy Moses and Doro (until after the first encore) on Friday and Valkyre, Interria, Draconian, Delain, Flowing Tears and Epica as well as parts of the performances of Distorted, Seraphim, Elis and Sirenia on Saturday. I overheard the replacement band from Australia on Friday from outside the hall while talking to another member from the Sonic Cathedral-forum, and while Battlelore were performing on Saturday, I had a – more or less – decent meal together with the same guy in one of the few restaurants in Wieze. (The hamburger I had had the evening before outside the hall somehow seemed to me like the real world equivalent to an item out of Cut-Me-Own-Throat-Dibbler´s cuisine. For those who aren´t familiar with this Discworld-character: it helped to make my stomach feel less empty than before, but it didn´t seem to have any specific taste, at least not one I could have put my finger on.)

Judging by the bands performing, I think a more appropriate name of this year´s festival would have been MFVAGF (Metal Female Voices And Growling Fest). As far as I recall, Doro, Valkyre, Interria, Seraphim, Delain and Elis were the only bands not to feature either male or female growling.

If it had been just about the music, I might as well have stayed at home. None of the performances really grabbed my interest, but since I didn´t expect it would, I couldn´t say I was disappointed. Actually, if Autumn hadn´t cancelled, I might have enjoyed at least some of their songs. The same applies to Imperia, who must have cancelled on very short notice – at least I hadn´t heard about it on Friday.

I think what I liked best music-wise were the few songs from the first two Warlock albums which Doro performed and Holy Moses’ songs from their albums “Finished With The Dogs” and “The New Machine of Liechtenstein”. It´s somewhat strange: I used to be a Warlock-fan (mostly of their first two albums) way back in the middle of the eighties, but my interest in them resp. Doro gradually declined until it vanished completely after Doro´s eponymously titled album in 1990 (the last one I bought), and now 22 years after the release of “Hellbound” (my first Warlock album), I´ve seen Doro live for the first time.

Nearly the same applies to Holy Moses. “Finished With The Dogs” once was among my favourite thrash metal albums and I still enjoyed “The New Machine Of Liechtenstein” and (to a lesser extent) “World Chaos”, before my interest vanished (also because the music had started to sound too samey to my ears). 18 ½ years ago, I saw Holy Moses live for the first and – until now – only time, doing a co-headliner tour with Sacred Reich and opening act Forbidden. I think I already didn´t like Sabina´s live-vocals as much as those on the studio albums way back then. Unfortunately, but also unsurprisingly, this hasn´t changed. While I really appreciated the old thrash metal songs Holy Moses played music-wise, I have to say that I found Sabina´s more or less monotonous vocals rather tiring.

Still, I´d say that for me, parts of the performances by Holy Moses and Doro came the closest to what I´d call “enjoying a concert” at this festival.

The most (?) remarkable moments on Friday: Sabina asked about 20 people by name (fan-club leaders/members) to come onto the stage – for some air-guitaring and headbanging-action – before performing a cover-version of Dead Kennedys’ “Too Drunk To Fuck” (the studio version is to be found on “World Chaos”). Doro was joined by Sabina on stage during the performance of “All We Are”.

I can´t remember Sabina´s hair ever being that blond. I wonder if she dyed it to make it match with Doro´s hair.

I met several members of the Sonic Cathedral-forum I already knew from previous festivals (which had been the main incentive for me to attend the festival at all) and also one I hadn´t met before.

I´m already looking forward to next year (hoping that the road construction works in that area will be finished by then - the "omleggings" lead me anywhere but not where I wanted to go), even though there´s hardly any band of interest to me among those already confirmed – well, maybe Midnattsol, at least to a certain extent. I really hope that the organizers will finally get Madder Mortem – who IMO are overdue to play at this festival and would have slayed any band performing this year (IMO, of course) – and/or Stolen Babies. Even though this is just wishful thinking, I´d also like to see a reunion of the Swedish all female thrash metal band Ice Age – that would be something to attract some “old school”-fans, like Holy Moses and Doro probably did this year.
Supaplex

PostPosted: 21/10/2007, 10:22 pm Post subject: Comments about MFVF 5 Reply with quote

First MFVF (plus I'm actually a bit of a 'noob' in metal ^^) for me and I had an awesome time Mr. Green
Only came on saturday and arrived at around 13h so no problem at all to enter the hall. I was looking forward to seeing Delain, Epica and Leaves' Eyes. But Battlelore and Elis were very nice surprises for me Smile Seraphim and Sirenia on the other hand didn't quite do it for me. Missed a big part of Flowing Tears due to waiting times to get food but oh well. Delain was great (I had hoped that maybe Liv Kristine would enter the stage to do at least 'See me in Shadow' though :/ ), Epica had a nice show, and I'm glad I could experience the Leaves' Eyes dvd recording Smile

Absolute highlights for me where :
Delain - The Gathering
Epica - Cry for the Moon
Leaves' Eyes - Elegy

Hope the line-up for next year becomes as great as it was for me this year, and I hope to drag a bunch of friends along then ^^

@Burkhard : Sorry, "omleggingen" are part of our Belgian culture Wink
Hell's Angi

PostPosted: 22/10/2007, 06:02 pm Post subject: Comments about MFVF 5 Reply with quote

i really enjoyed the fest, but missed the bands that had cancelled. most important band for me was elis, my 12th gig of them, then battlelore (hadn't seen them live before) and LE, but i left before they had finished because it wasn't very satisfying to see them play from so far away, i'm used to being in front row, standing outside or in the back isn't fun to me...
flowing tears were pretty cool, too. i had only known one song before and really enjoyed it when they played it. i also liked sirenia a lot, epica were as always, they don't impress me that much i have to admit...
*similarties to my post on the sonic cathedral forum are no coincidence lol*
Visit poster’s website ICQ MSN
Anathemo

PostPosted: 23/10/2007, 05:56 pm Post subject: Comments about MFVF 5 Reply with quote

First impressions here:

http://www.themetalcircus.com/concierto.php?id=540

I would translate it to English but I'm busy as hell, so see the pictures and you'd figure it out!

More to come!

Highlights: Flowing Tears (even when the audience decreased during their show), Leaves' Eyes (amazing band, amazing people), Draconian cause it's a band I like a lot ( the concert was not good at all) and Battlelore, friends and partners in crime! Laughing
Burkhard
MFVF fan
MFVF fan

PostPosted: 23/10/2007, 07:48 pm Post subject: Comments about MFVF 5 Reply with quote

Supaplex wrote:
@Burkhard : Sorry, "omleggingen" are part of our Belgian culture Wink

That was the impression I got. Maybe next year I should try to hire a scout to lead me through the maze of small streets. BTW, it also seems to be part of Belgian culture to put up signs in small villages telling you not to go faster than 70 km/h and just 100 metres after these signs there´s one of those obstacles which force you to go down to 30 km/h anyway unless you don´t mind wrecking your car. (OK, maybe it´s a little bit exaggerated, but I still found that somewhat weird.)
behemoth_zZz

PostPosted: 23/10/2007, 10:27 pm Post subject: Comments about MFVF 5 Reply with quote

yeah, top 5 Belgian specialities are fries, chocolate, beer, the complex political system and the idiotic, illogical traffic-infrastructure.
Especially the roads where you have like 4 different speed limits within 500m are quite funny.
Or roads where you have a sign saying the speed limit is 50 and 100m after that you have a sign saying the 30 max speedlimit part is over.
Oh, oh, and the numerous 'rotondes' are fun too...
Vlien
MFVF fan
MFVF fan

PostPosted: 24/10/2007, 06:25 am Post subject: Comments about MFVF 5 Reply with quote

behemoth_zZz wrote:
Especially the roads where you have like 4 different speed limits within 500m are quite funny.

Laughing

Visit poster’s website
LegendLand

PostPosted: 24/10/2007, 03:30 pm Post subject: Comments about MFVF 5 Reply with quote

yes, the traffic and streets are very bad.. main reason for me not to come next year.
if you drive into one direction, you see a sign, maybe "wieze" and when you turn around and drive the same road into the other direction you never find such a sign Rolling Eyes

really bad.. also strange that you´re allowed to drive 70km/h inner city..

but the festival itself was great! we were late on friday, so we only got to see holy moses and doro. i also was tired after 8 hours driving and so i only watched the show, but it was really good. i saw doro before in hamburg and the show was quiet boring..
the next day i started with seraphim.. they were not very amazing.. but delain really surprised me! nice show, nice people and the keyboarder was funny. the singer did a good job, too. but i missed the guests like liv or marco hietala singing. nevertheless she did quiet well copying them. the gathering really was the highlight of the show.
after that i took a brake while elis played. didn´t like them that much as i listened on myspace. we managed to stand on 5th row or so when flowing tears played. they did a good job, too, and the growlings impressed me. sounds better than on the cds. sirenia were totally flopping.. somebody near me asked, what the singer was doing on stage, because she had very few parts of singing. i found epica wasn´t impressing, too.. the guy i attended the festival with managed to sleep while standing next to me Razz and in my opinion a pyro show looks somehow different.. perhaps like rammsteins show with the flaming guns (don´t know how they are called in english, perhaps you know what i mean...)
but the le-show was really great! i stood in the second row and it was really really good. the ship was amazing and the ideas with quieter songs instumental and with a cellist was really good, too. i´m looking forwars to see me on the dvd Laughing
also nice how close the members are towards fans. for example the bass-player at the merchandise stand. also funny the drum that fell off the ship. but they were rocking although. alex is a good entertainer

the whole festival was very quiet.. not much jumping, i think, that´s a pity. but nice that nobody started a pogo Smile

btw: guess i saw you, vlien. did you stand in first row near a girl with a norway flag?
Vlien
MFVF fan
MFVF fan

PostPosted: 24/10/2007, 05:33 pm Post subject: Comments about MFVF 5 Reply with quote

LegendLand wrote:
btw: guess i saw you, vlien. did you stand in first row near a girl with a norway flag?

Yes! Shocked

Visit poster’s website
Gothtim
MFVF fan
MFVF fan

PostPosted: 24/10/2007, 06:53 pm Post subject: Comments about MFVF 5 Reply with quote

Then I must have seen you too, Vlien,
as I was in the photopit also talking to the girl with the flag and Rudy Dedoncker Very Happy

go visit my site (regularly updated): www.pbase.com/timsphotos
OFFICIAL MFVF PHOTOGRAPHER
Visit poster’s website MSN
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 01:02 pm Post subject: Comments about MFVF 5

Post new topic Reply to topic Metal Female Voices Fest Forum Index -> Forum -> Archives -> MFVF 5 All times are GMT
Goto page: 1, 2, 3  >
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation
Xtreme Skin Designed by Xtreme Web Developers visit website